Banana and toffee are a heavenly combination in this traditional sweet pie. This is my personal favourite dessert and it doesn’t last very long in my fridge. One bite and one keeps coming back for more! Today I made smaller individual pies. Recipe makes one large pie or 4 smaller pies.
For the base:
* 100g Butter, melted
* 250g Marie biscuits, crushed (digestive biscuits can also be used)
For the caramel:
* 100g Butter
* 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
* 397g (1 can) Sweet Condensed Milk
For the top:
* 4 small bananas
* 300ml carton heavy cream, lightly whipped
* grated chocolate
1. In food processor put the biscuits and blitz till you get biscuit crumbs, then pour in the melted butter and blitz together.
2. Spoon this into the base and press against the bottom and sides – this is the base of the banoffee pie recipe. Chill it for 30 minutes in fridge.
3. To make the caramel- Melt the butter and sugar into a non-stick saucepan over a low heat, stirring all the time until the sugar has dissolved. Add the condensed milk and bring to a boil for about a minute, stirring all the time for a thick golden caramel.
4. Spread the hot caramel over the biscuit base, and then chill for about 1 hour, in fridge.
5. Carefully lift the pie from the tin and place on a serving plate. Slice the bananas; place on the caramel and spoon over the whipped cream.
6. Decorate with the grated chocolate. I have put a Blackberry and mint leaf to add Color to my banofee pie.
If you don’t have a food processor you can crush the biscuits using a rolling pin and a plastic bag.